An Experienced And Supportive Team To Help You After The Tragic Loss Of A Loved One
Wrongful death claims are actions for damages resulting from a loved one’s death due to the negligent actions of another person or entity. The deceased’s surviving family members may bring a wrongful death suit seeking monetary damages to compensate for the loss of their loved one. The compassionate advocates at Shifrin Law Group in Chicago are here to help you pursue the monetary compensation you need and deserve after the loss of a loved one.
How To Pursue A Wrongful Death Claim
If a death occurred due to another person’s negligent or intentional act and has caused financial loss to surviving family members, a viable wrongful death claim may exist.
Common types of wrongful death claims include:
- Medical malpractice
- Unsafe pharmaceuticals/medications
- Defective or dangerous products
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Workplace accidents
In general, the damages you can recover in a wrongful death lawsuit include:
- Medical expenses, typically medical bills or emergency care related to your loved one’s passing
- Funeral expenses
- Pain and suffering, including damages for the deceased’s pain and suffering prior to their death. This is considered noneconomic damage. Illinois does not have a cap on noneconomic damages in wrongful death cases.
- Loss of consortium, including when the person who was killed cannot provide his or her spouse or family member with the same love, affection, companionship, comfort, society or sexual relations that were provided before their death
- Lost income, including all financial contributions your loved one was previously contributing such as income and benefits
- Punitive damages occurring where another person’s underlying conduct resulting in the wrongful death is willful and wanton, outrageous or where the defendant acted with actual malice, fraud, deliberate violence or gross negligence.
Most wrongful death cases must be filed right away to protect the statute of limitations, so it is crucial to contact an attorney immediately.
Get The Guidance You Need. Find Out More In A Free Consultation.
After a tragedy, it’s important to tell your story. It is also important to hold those responsible accountable. This can help to ensure no one else suffers from the same negligence, carelessness or fatal mistake. We will help you understand your compensation options and offer an experienced legal perspective and advice. Your consultation with us is absolutely free of charge. Our founding attorney speaks fluent Russian, enabling us to provide service to you in the English and Russian language. Call our Chicago office at 312-766-4223 or connect with us by using our online request form.