Accidents can be stressful and overwhelming experiences, and it’s easy to make mistakes in the aftermath. Here are some common mistakes to avoid after an accident:
- Not seeking medical attention: It’s important to prioritize your health and seek medical attention as soon as possible after an accident, even if you don’t think you were seriously injured. Some injuries, such as concussions and whiplash, may not manifest symptoms immediately.
- Not gathering evidence: It’s important to gather as much evidence as possible at the scene of the accident. This includes taking photos of the damage to your vehicle, the scene of the accident and the surrounding area, as well as getting the contact information of any witnesses.
- Admitting fault: Even if you think you may have contributed to the accident, it’s important to avoid admitting fault. Let the insurance company and the authorities determine fault.
- Not contacting the police: If the accident resulted in injuries or significant property damage, it’s important to contact the police and file a report. This can be helpful in the event that you need to file an insurance claim or take legal action.
- Talking to the other drivers’ insurance company: If you receive phone calls or other communications from the other drivers’ insurance company, it is important to consult an attorney prior to making a statement. Often times, your statement can be used against you down the line and can sometimes result in the at-fault driver’s insurance company denying liability. Please remember that these calls are often recorded. Often times it is important to speak to an attorney prior to speaking with your own insurance company.
- Not following your doctor’s orders: If you sustained injuries in the accident, it’s important to follow your doctor’s orders and complete any recommended treatment. Failing to do so can negatively impact your recovery and may jeopardize any potential legal action you may take.
- Not hiring a lawyer: If the accident involved injuries and you are considering legal action or filing a claim, it’s important to hire an experienced lawyer. With over 10 years of experience, Shifrin Law Group can help you navigate the legal process and maximize your chances of a successful outcome.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you can protect yourself and your interests after an accident. Remember to stay calm, gather evidence, seek medical attention, and follow the appropriate steps to ensure a successful outcome. If you were involved in an accident, contact Shifrin Law Group today for a free consultation.
 This blog post was built with ChatGPT AI technology in conjunction with review and edits from a licensed attorney.